Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Barely controlled chaos!

Wenatchee has a wonderful group made up of many of the churches in our community called "Serve Wenatchee Valley". Their business is run like a charity. They help out people that need food, clothing, furniture, etc, by taking in gently used items from the community who are willing to donate them. One thing that they have going on each year is a Back to School Giveaway. It is held each year at the First Presbitarian Church on Western Avenue. They have a drive to collect as much children's clothes as possible. Other businesses, like Payless Shoes, donates shoes in multiple sizes or whatever the business that participates sells. There are stylists/barbers from the local cosmetology school who donate their time for free haircuts. Tons of stuff going on!

Well, it usually starts at 9:00am and ends at 12:00pm. The problem is......if you don't get there at least an hour before it starts......you won't be able to get through the whole thing before they run out of stuff. I went last year for the first time and got there at 9am and by the time my spot got to the front of the line to get it it was almost over. Talk about running through. I think I broke the record for the fastest time through there......LOL!

Ok, here's the deal. The way it works is that there are different stations set up with different things at them. One station is clothing, one is shoes, one is haircuts, etc. When you get there you go to the back of the main line, wherever that may be, and wait. Yes, wait. Standing. In the sun. Waiting. At least every once in a while someone working there will come by with donated cookies and offer you one. I don't remember if there were any drinks offered. Anyway, by the time you get to the front of the line for your turn, you are bitchy, hot, tired, and ready for a fight. Now, there are also about 500 other people there in the same predicament. To state the statistical type of people there........

80% Hispanic
19% Caucasion
1% Other

It can get crazy! So, in my insanity, and desperate need of help with school clothing, I am going again this year. I am getting there an hour earlier this time.....LMAO! I'm also bringing drinks and my husband........poor Tom. He doesn't do well in crowds. I guess I'm just evil that way.

It also feeds my love of people watching. The diversity is amazing. You will see just about every type of person there. It will be held this Saturday. Good times........

No comments: